Garmouth's Maggie Fair Day traditionally takes place on the last Saturday of June each year and is one of the few – if not the only – historical Street Fair still held in Scotland that has been celebrated annually, virtually without interruption, since it was established.419 years ago, on 30th June 1587, the village of "Garmoch" (deriving from two Gaelic words – "Gar" meaning rough and "Mach" meaning a mouth) was granted a Crown Charter by King James VI, erecting it into a Burgh of Barony and a Fair Day marked the occasion.
From the State Paper Dome stick Scottish Registry Office which states."James VI, by a Crown Charter of 30th June 1587, in favour of Robert Innes of that ilk, 19th Laird of Innes, Garmouth was erected into a Burgh of Barony, with power of creating free burgesses, a Mercat Cross and harbour and to hold two fairs, to be held annually at the aforementioned Merchat Cross, one on Saturday nearest the 30th June and the other the Saturday nearest 20th September."There is little doubt that the Mercat Cross of 1587 was on the site of the present "Cross" at Garmouth. Moving the site of Maggie Fair would invalidate the Charter of 1587 and a custom of 419 years, the oldest in the North of Scotland would be lost forever. (Committee take note) ed:
The identity of the Lady whose name became conjoined with the Fair is the subject of speculation, but could have been one of three.
The village of Kingston was once the centre of a thriving shipbuilding industry which sent its products all over the world. It owes its name to one of the original shipbuilders, William Osbourne of Kingston-upon-Hull. He and his partner, Ralph Dodsworth of York, purchased the forest of Glenmore from the Duke of Gordon in 1784. Timber was floated down the Spey to Garmouth where it was shipped south.